Transforming the Mind #1 - Forgiving is For Giving

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

This scripture is probably one of the most familiar and sermonized truths of all time. However, it seems to me, it remains one of the most integrated words, myself included. How so? Well, I don't see the fresh perspective of Jesus rattling off of most people's lips. I don't hear often enough the words of Christ coming out of my mouth. In short I struggle with a negative mindset. I think we are all so familiar with the "struggle" that I don't need to develop it further here. So how do we allow our minds to be transformed?

The Foundation of Holy Spirit

Perhaps on of my favorite scriptures in the word of God is Phil. 1:6
 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

I love this because God has a responsibility and role in being part of our transformation. To be sure, we have a responsibility as well. But I love to say to God, "Lord, you started this, please help me finish it."

Then there is the indwelling of Holy Spirit. Perhaps the greatest gift we have is him indwelling us that have invited Him in. Jesus said this to his disciples just before His death and resurrection.

But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will prove the world to be in the wrong about sin and righteousness and judgment: about sin, because people do not believe in me; John 16: 7-9

See, Holy Spirit, the advocate, is sent to us. When we receive Him, He creates an argument in us. He will Prove to the world the character, nature, and reality of Jesus Christ.

The Proof is in the Pudding

So now let us consider those that are are saved and live life in conjunction with Holy Spirit now. Where is the transformation? Have a new thought! Because we are fearfully and wonderfully made, I submit to you the process of transforming the mind is a bit like trying to ride a skateboard across America, or conquer continental Europe by war. There are layers and layers, and levels of dynamics within the self that prove to be far more than simple yielding or submission.  Now everyone is not the same. Some people are not as complex as others. But in general, we are much more than we realized, and usually most of us get stuck in our process before we die. Getting stuck is like being on a hamster wheel, and we just go around the same cycle until we die.

But I want more!

There remains then an new level of growth for us to press into. I'm interested in breaking old cycles, and forming new ones that align with the growth mindset of Heaven.

The first of these cycles is forgiving. Chuck Pierce once said "Forgiving is For Giving!" When we learn to release offense, past hurts, and wounds, in light of the gift we have received in Jesus Christ, sacrificed as the propitiation for our sin, we can begin to form a new processes of blessing those around us in the way that we have been blessed. In short, we start a blessing cycle. We start GIVING into those around us. Not because we have to, rather, because we see the opportunity to bless. Blessing others is a pathway to joy! Joy joy joy! Joy unlocks a heart of love.

My son Sam!
Yesterday, I asked my son to use the clippers to chop up a substantial mound of tree branches. He worked out there about 90 minutes. I didn't have much to give him for his work, and part of me wanted to chalk it up to "just doing your chores around the house." But then I remembered my change jar. I had about three inches of change piled up in it. When he came in without complain, (I'm so proud of him) I said, "Hey Sam, come here." I then gave him the jar of change, and said, "Thank you, son."

So here is my challenge to you today. Bless someone around you by giving into them. Just ask God for a little creativity, and then give it. You will be blessed.

Comments

Popular Posts